These instructions were written based on an Ubuntu system, but should be applicable to any system using GNOME and NetworkManager.
- Configure and Connect VPN.
- Open a Terminal shell.
- Type the following command for Debian-based systems:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
Or if you have a Red Hat-based system:
sudo yum install network-manager-vpnc
- Once the command is finished running close the terminal.
- Open the System menu.
- Open the Preferences submenu.
- Click Network Connections.
- Click the VPN tab.
- Click Add.
- Select Cisco Compatible VPN
- Enter the following settings:
- Connection name: ISP to PSU
- Gateway: vpn.its.psu.edu
- Group name: psuconnect
- User name: Enter your Penn State Access ID (abc123) here.
- Click Apply
- Click the Network Manager icon.
- Open the VPN Connections submenu.
- Click ISP to PSU
- Enter your Penn State Access Account passsword.
- In Program Menu choose Internet-->Terminal Services Client or from a terminal shell type:
- In the Computer field enter one of the Available Systems listed below.
- Enter your credentials:
Username: Your Penn State Access ID
Password: (leave blank)
Client Hostname: (leave blank)
Protocol file: (leave blank)
- Log off your remote session when finished.